Back to Home
Kitchen Fairies Shop
Pea Shoots with Garlic
from "Dim Sum
" by Ellen Leong Blonder
- 8 ounces pea shoots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
- 1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry or white wine
- Rince and drain the pea shoots. Pinch off and discard any large. tough
stems or long. curled tendrils.
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water and 1/2 teaspoon salt
to a boil. Add the pea shoots and blanch them for 2 minutes. Drain hot
water immediately and run cold water over the pea shoots. Leave it in
- Heat a skillet over low heat; then heat the peanut oil and sesame
oil. Add thinly sliced garlic and stir fry over low heat.
- When the garlic is cooked but not brown, add pea shoots and cook
at medium heat. Add the seasonings:
Sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons sherry or white wine
a little more salt to taste
This recipe is from "Dim Sum: The Art of Chinese Tea Lunch"
by Ellen Leong Blonder. She provides 60 recipes, from
siu mai to egg custard tarts, all illustrated by her own lovely watercolors.
Every recipe I have tried turned out successful.