Ingredients for 4 servings
- 1 lb fresh mussels
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb tomatoes, fresh or canned, peeled and finely
- 1 lb spaghetti or other long pasta
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 8 oz peeled and deveined shrimp, fresh or frozen
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Scrub the mussels well under cold running water, cutting off the "beard"
with a small sharp knife. Place the mussels and the wine in a large
saucepan and heat until they open.
- Lift out the mussels and remove to a side dish. (Discard any that
do not open.) Strain the cooking liquid through paper towels, and reserve
until needed. Preheat the oven to 300F.
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil. In a medium saucepan, heat the
oil and garlic together for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, and cook
over moderate to high heat until they soften. Stir in 3/4 cup of the
cooking liquid from the mussels. Add salt and the pasta to the boiling
water , and cook until it is just at dente.
- Just before draining the pasta, add the parsley to the tomato sauce.
Cook for 2 minutes. Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as desired.
Remove from the heat.
- Prepare 4 pieces of parchment paper of foil approximately 12 in X
18 inch. Place each sheet in the center of a shallow bowl. Turn the
drained pasta into a mixing bowl. Add the tomato sauce and mix well.
Stir in the mussels and shrimp.
- Divide the pasta and seafood between the four pieces of paper, placing
a mound of the center of each, and twisting the paper ends together
to make a closed packet. (The bowl under the paper will stop the sauce
from spilling white the paper parcels are being closed.) Arrange on
a large cookie sheet, and place in the center of the preheated oven.
Bake for 8-10 minutes. Place one unopened packet on each individual