Each brand of yogurt has different cultures and usually one yogurt contains a few
different cultures. These cultures grow at different temperatures. LG21
grows at higher temperature (107°F - 113°F), while lactococccus
(Caspian yogurt) grows at lower temperature.( 77°F - 90°F).
- 3 to 5 tbsp. plain yogurt (whatever you buy at the store)
- 3 cups milk
- a glass jar
- a piece of tissue paper or cloth to cover and a rubber band
- environment (around 104°F)
- Heat milk to lukewarm.
- Add plain yogurt and stir well.
- Cover with a piece of cloth and a rubber band. The bacteria has to
- Put the jar in the warm place like an oven. Keep the temperature around
104°F. It usually takes 4 hours to 10 hours depending on the temperature
and the kind of culture.
- When it is ready, there could be a slight separation on the top like
- Before you mix in sugar, set aside 4 to 5 tbsp of yogurt and save
it as the starter for the next batch.
 Use whole milk, 2% milk, or 1% milk.
Nonfat milk is not recommended.