This recipe makes about 14 meatballs.
- 1 lb. (450 g) ground chicken breast
- 1 oz. (28 g) chives or green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup panko (bread crumbs)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch or potato starch
- 1/2 egg or 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white or red wine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Ingredients for the teriyaki sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl except for the wine, vegetable oil and the ingredients for the teriyaki sauce.
Shape into 14 1.5-inch meatballs.
- Heat up a steel pan over medium heat. Spread 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the pan. When the pan
just begins to smoke, it is hot enough to add the meatballs. Line them up on the pan, so that
they are not touching. When the bottoms become browned, turn them over and brown the other side.
- Pour 2 tablespoons white or red wine, cover with a lid and steam the meatballs.
- When the meat is cooked, pour the teriyaki sauce and cook until the sauce is almost gone, turning
them over once or twice.
- Glaze the meatballs with the thickened teriyaki sauce while the sauce is hot. Optional:
Put the meatballs on skewers (3 to 4 per skewer).